Tuesday, January 30, 2024

10. Mine!


Mine! A Story of Not Sharing. Klara Persson. Translated by Nichola Smalley. Illustrated by Charlotte Ramel. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: "Nico's coming to play today," says Mom. "He can't play with the squirrel," Sally says. "It's mine." "Let's put the squirrel in the wardrobe," says Mom. "You can play with it later, when Nico's gone home." 

Premise/plot: And so it begins....Sally begins tossing anything and everything into the wardrobe so that her play date, Nico, cannot play with it. The situation really gets out of hand...she even puts in HER toilet. Will Sally ever learn to share?

My thoughts: This picture book was originally published in Sweden. I want to say two things. First, I enjoy the humorous story line. I do. I think it's silly and over-the-top. I think it's relatable, to a certain degree. I think there's lessons to be learned, if you so desire. Second, I really do not like at all in any way the illustrations. They are just not for me. So I am conflicted on if I like this one...or not. I know I don't love it. 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: