Thursday, March 17, 2022

41. Once Upon a Tim


Once Upon a Tim. Stuart Gibbs. 2022. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: There was a prince who was revered throughout the land for being exceptionally brave who was known far and wide for his cool and calm presence in the face of grave danger...and who was beloved and adored by all the people of his kingdom. This is not his story. It's mine. I'm Tim.

Premise/plot: Once Upon a Tim is set in the distant past. So distant that calendars and dates--not even days of the week--have been invented yet. Tim, our hero, is sharing directly with readers (breaking the fourth wall) his adventures and misadventures. 

My thoughts: This one was not my favorite or best. I do enjoy fairy-tale-esque stories. I can appreciate humor. But don't intermingle the real world with this "historical" long, long, long, long ago past. Don't talk about the internet, for example. The narration just bothered me. I never got past it.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: