Monday, March 14, 2022

40. Cornbread and Poppy


Cornbread and Poppy. Matthew Cordell. 2022. 80 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was winter.

Premise/plot: Cornbread and Poppy is the first in a new early reader series by Matthew Cordell. This first book introduces the characters Cornbread and Poppy--two mice who are as different as different can be. The three stories are all set in the winter season. The three stories are "The First Snow," "Holler Mountain," and "The Food Problem." The stories are linked together--build upon one another. 

Essentially, long story short, Cornbread is WELL prepared for winter; Poppy is ill-prepared for winter. The three stories are about these two working together to help Poppy out of a situation.

My thoughts: The moment I saw the cover, I knew I needed to read this one! The cover just says READ ME, READ ME! Mice in fiction are always a thousand times cuter (and more appealing) than mice in real life. So reading about these mice friends sounded like a treat.

I wasn't disappointed. I'm not sure that I loved, loved, loved it so completely that I push it (literally) into the hands of every single person I know. But I did push it into my mom's hands. (And I'll recommend it to my sister as well.) I definitely liked it well enough that I want MORE in the series.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: