Wednesday, March 9, 2022

39. The Story of a Story


The Story of a Story. Deborah Hopkinson. 2021. [November] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This is the story of a story. You arrive with a pencil or two, a big eraser, your favorite pencil sharpener, and a snack (a healthy one).

Premise/plot: This picture book celebrates WRITING STORIES. It is written in the second person. The protagonist 'you' is a young child who experiences a bit of writer's block... but inspiration comes at the end of the picture book.

My thoughts: Lovely illustrations, interesting premise. I can't say that I love, love, love the second person narration. I think it probably works better here than in most other cases. I can see this one being used as a read aloud in an elementary classroom. I think the text lends itself well to a read aloud. The book concludes with writing prompts for the beginning, middle, and end of "your" stories about bird "you" spot outside the window.

My favorite quote is "But other people's stories aren't exactly yours."


 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: