Saturday, January 22, 2022

15. I Wish I Had a Wookiee


I Wish I Had a Wookiee: And Other Poems For Our Galaxy. Ian Doescher. Illustrated by Tim Budgen. 2021 [September] 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Long time ago," but when?
"Far, far away," but where?
Can we go back to then?
Can we please travel there?

Ian Doescher shares his love of all things Star Wars AND his love of poetry in this new poetry book. Poetry isn't always accessible and appealing. Poetry is perhaps even more subjective than prose. What one person connects with--engages--another person may find "blah" or "meh." For every poem--or nearly every poem--there is a person out there who will love it.

This collection has dozens (or scores?) of poems ALL Star Wars themed. These poems vary in length and narrative style. I think there's enough variety that EVERY reader will find a handful of poems to enjoy, poems that beg to be shared.

My personal favorite is "Ingrid is Chewbacca." I really love this one. The poem is about neighborhood friends gathering together on Saturday morning to play Star Wars. Everyone is assigned a role, but, Ingrid does NOT want to be Leia. Nope, Ingrid is determined that SHE will be Chewbacca. And she has just what it takes to succeed--the best Wookiee bray the gang has ever heard.

I also enjoyed "Old Mr. Jones and His Star Wars Collection." In that poem, a kid connects with a much older neighbor, Mr. Jones, over their shared love of Star Wars. 

I do think a love of Star Wars--or at least a certain familiarity with Star Wars--would help when reading this one. I don't think a love of poetry has to be there to begin with. The poems speak for themselves.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: