Thursday, January 20, 2022

12. Yes & No


Yes & No. Elisha Cooper. 2021. [April] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Good morning, good morning! It's time to wake up. My dears, are you awake? Yes. No. Did you sleep well? Oh, yes. No, I did not. Are you both excited for the day? Yes, I am excited. Hmpff.

Premise/plot: Ready to spend the day with a cute, adorable puppy and oh-so-opinionated cat companion? Elisha Cooper's Yes & No chronicles the day's adventures with this animal pair capturing BOTH perspectives. 

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. Good news, it is not in any way (even remotely) sad! I liked that we get the perspective of both the cat and the dog. Both are charming in their own ways. I was not expecting several pages to be wordless. This isn't a bad thing, mind you. It would just make it slightly more tricky for a group read aloud. (But it wouldn't make a bit of difference for one-on-one sharing. And some books are just made to be read on a comfy, cozy lap.) I think pre-readers may also benefit from reading this one. The story can be read through the illustrations. And it is easy to predict who is saying yes and who is saying no.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: