Thursday, February 25, 2021

22. Seaside Stroll


Seaside Stroll. Charles Trevino. Illustrated by Maribel Lechuga. 2021. [January] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Scruffy shoes, socks, sweater....scratchy, silly scarf. 

Premise/plot: Thus begins one wintry seaside stroll shared by a little girl and her mama. (Though perhaps I shouldn't forget the DOLLY that comes too!) Seaside Stroll is a narrative poem written entirely with words that begin with the letter S. 

My thoughts: I love the descriptive language in Seaside Stroll. I imagine (though I haven't tried it myself) that it would be a joy to read aloud!!! All the alliteration of the S's! Alliteration, to remind everyone, is "the repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables. But in addition to being a teacher's dream come true (when it comes to poetry units) it is also a joyful celebration of family life (not just the extraordinary moments but the ordinary ones too). 

I loved the writing and the illustrations.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: