Tuesday, February 2, 2021

10. Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes


Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes. Eric Litwin. Illustrated by James Dean. 2010. 40 pages. [Source: Online Audio]

First sentence:  Pete the Cat was walking down the street in his brand-new white shoes. Pete loved his white shoes so much, he sang this song:

"I love my white shoes,
I love my white shoes,
I love my white shoes."

Premise/plot: Pete the Cat LOVES his white shoes, but will his shoes stay WHITE when he goes on his walk???? And how will he handle it if they're not perfectly-perfectly white? 

My thoughts:  I love, love, love, REALLY REALLY love Pete the Cat. He is my kind of cat. You should definitely download the free song(s) as well, so you can really sing right along with the book(s). True, you could make up your own tune, but, the song is so perfectly catchy.

So. Pete the Cat has white shoes which he loves. But, when he steps in some unpleasant things: strawberries, blueberries, a mud puddle, a bucket of water, does Pete cry?! Goodness no! He just keeps on walking and singing his song! Is this a concept book about colors (white, red, blue, brown)? Is this a book teaching necessary coping skills to preschoolers and kids? A bit of both. But. It is also just a really fun, very entertaining story about a groovy cat! I absolutely LOVE the repetition, and the fact that this is a book everyone can participate and join in on! Kids could even write their own stories.

Again this book has the refrain DID PETE CRY?!?! GOODNESS, NO!    

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: