Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Board book: I Love Old MacDonald's Farm

I Love Old MacDonald's Farm. Sandra Magsamen. 2018. Scholastic. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O! And on his farm he had a cow, E-I-E-I-O! With a moo-moo here and a hug-hug there. Here a moo there a moo. Everywhere a hug-hug. Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O!

Premise/plot: Sandra Magsamen's adaptation is VERY affectionate. All the animals take part in the song, but, the song became a lot more cuddly.

My thoughts: In this adaptation Magsamen has taken away some of the familiar words and added in nice cozy words: hugging, kissing, tickling, etc.

Songs are made to be adapted--freely adapted. Perhaps no song is more adaptable than the old classic Old MacDonald Had A Farm. Old MacDonald can have a LOT of different stuff on his farm depending on your child's interests of the moment. (Old MacDonald had a farm E-I-E-I-O! And on that farm he had an ALLIGATOR, E-I-E-I-O! With an [snapping arm motion] bite, bite here and a bite, bite there, everywhere a bite, bite...etc.)

I liked this one.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: