Monday, May 14, 2018

A Lion Is A Lion

A Lion is a Lion. Polly Dunbar. 2018. Candlewick. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This is a lion. Fierce, isn't he? Too fierce for you? Well...
Is a lion still a lion if...he wears a hat? And is a lion still a lion if...he carries an umbrella, too?
Is a lion still a lion if...he skips down the street singing "Hoobie-doobie-doo"? And then...

Premise/plot: Is this lion to be trusted?! Is a lion ALWAYS a lion no matter what?! Will these two children be foolish enough to feel SAFE?

My thoughts: A Lion is a Lion is a fun, silly, and a joy to read aloud. I loved the text. I loved the illustrations. I loved the rewinding of the story as the children say NO, NO, NO. I especially loved the patterning.

The story lends itself to retelling in my opinion. Children could easily write their own versions...starring a lion...or any other animal. Is a lion still a lion if.... there are SO many possibilities that little ones can create.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: