Monday, January 22, 2018

The Diary of a Killer Cat

The Diary of a Killer Cat. Anne Fine. Illustrated by Steve Cox. 1994. FSG. 64 pages.

First sentence: Monday. Okay, okay. So hang me. I killed the bird. For pity's sake, I'm a cat. It's practically my job to go creeping around the garden after sweet little eensy-weensy birdy-pies that can hardly fly from one hedge to another.

Premise/plot: What you see is what you get. This early chapter book is a diary of a killer cat. Tuffy's human is Ellie; Ellie and her family are horrified by the things their cat kills and brings back home. We get it all from Tuffy's perspective.

My thoughts: I liked this one. I didn't love, love, love it. But I enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read. The narrative was quite funny, for the most part. It was probably for the best that there's a twist with one of his 'killings,' but it did make me have reservations about Tuffy until matters were clarified.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: