Monday, November 27, 2017

Here Comes Santa Cat

Here Comes Santa Cat. Deborah Underwood. 2014. 88 pages. [Source: Library]


First sentence: Hey, Santa! Have you seen Cat? Cat! I didn't even recognize you. Why are you dressed like Santa? So you can give yourself a present? Oh, Cat. Santa will bring you a present, won't he? No? Why not? Ah. I see your problem.

Premise/plot: Cat is worried that Santa will not bring him a present because he's been too naughty. It's Christmas Eve, and it's too late--isn't it--for him to start being nice enough to get on Santa's good list. Cat dresses up as Santa and attempts...well, he attempts many, many things! Will Cat's last minute efforts work? Will Cat get a Christmas present?

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved, LOVED this one. Cat and his signs are just too adorable. I love how expressive the illustrations are. This Cat is just super-super lovable. He would be a handful to live with perhaps. But as a character in a book, he's ideal! I love the conversational text. The narrative text is something I'd call practically perfect in every way.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: