Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Quilt Story

The Quilt Story. Tony Johnston. Illustrated by Tomie dePaola. 1985. 32 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: A little girl's mother made the quilt to keep her warm when the snow came down, long ago. She stitched the quilt by a yellow flame, humming all the time. She stitched the tails of falling stars. And she stitched the name, Abigail.

Premise/plot: This book is a story of a quilt. The picture book opens with the quilt's creation. The picture book closes with the quilt's recreation. In between, readers meet two different girls who love, love, love the quilt; girls who take comfort from the quilt. In between, readers see different mothers fixing and repairing the quilt as needed. 

My thoughts: I really loved this one. When the quilt was put in the attic and forgotten, I admit I was SAD. I didn't want the quilt to be found and used by MICE. I didn't want the mice to eat it. I was so happy when the quilt was rediscovered by a new generation. I'm guessing it was several generations removed from the original owner. I don't know if a quilt is really as easy to repair as this picture book makes it appear.

This picture book reminded me of an Alice Walker short story, Everyday Use. Adults who read and enjoy The Quilt Story should read it.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: