Thursday, August 1, 2024

104. Sketty and Meatball

Sketty and Meatball. Sarah Weeks. Illustrated by Alex Willmore. 2024. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [I Can Read Level 1] [5/5 Stars]

First sentence: Sketty and Meatball do everything together. They play together. They bark together. 

Premise/plot: Sketty and Meatball are the super cute, adorable stars of this I Can Read Level 1 early reader. These two dogs love to do everything together. They are always asking one another, Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking??? The answer is almost always yes. In this adventure, these two are looking for something "new" to do. They end up at a DOG SHOW. 

My thoughts: This one was SUPER fun and enjoyable. It was a great early reader. I liked the repetitiveness of the catch phrases, the predictability of the plot, the fun characters. There is a balancing that must be done in early readers--the balance between being simple, basic, structured, written with the intent to be read by a certain age and skill level WHILE being entertaining and appealing enough that young readers WANT to keep turning the pages. 

I read the digital library book of this one that came with audio. I did read it on my own without turning the audio on. I did reread the story with the audio on so I could listen to it as well. The audio added some nice touches in regards to special effects.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: