Thursday, August 8, 2024

105. Schnozzer & Tatertoes Take a Hike

Schnozzer & Tatertoes #1: Take a Hike. Rick Stromoski. 2023. 144 pages. [Source: Library] [3 stars]

First sentence: Go, baby, Go! Faster! Faster! You can do it!

Premise/plot: Two dogs--Schnozzer and Tatertoes--go on an adventure in Rick Stromoski's graphic novel for young readers. It is a graphic novel early chapter book. The dogs set off to find Tatertoes' mother, but they don't know the way--not even slightly. As a result of being lost (and somewhat unintelligent in a supposed-to-be-lovable way), the two experience some misadventures along the way.

My thoughts: I wanted to love this one more than I actually did. I'd be curious how children respond/react to this one. I think it could very well be appealing to the target audience. The book is undoubtedly silly. As an adult, I found the silliness to be over-the-top to the point of being ridiculous. However, maybe kids would not find the silliness to be too much. Reading is so subjective.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: