Saturday, June 22, 2024

83-84. Pet Books


83. How to Love a Kitten. Michelle Meadows. 2024. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: On the farm, we run and play. I kick the ball. It rolls away. Under the porch, I bend down low. No ball in sight. Where did it go? A broken toy. A silver pail. Then something moves. Is that a tail? I call out, "Hey--Look what I found! Four kittens and a cat curled around."

Premise/plot: A young girl [and her family] finds a mama cat with new kittens. The family "rescue" her and help care for the mama cat and all the kittens. They are hopeful that they will find the owner of the mama cat since she has a collar and is super-friendly (as opposed to feral). Will all the cats find homes? 

My thoughts: This is an enjoyable beginning reader. This is an "I Can Read It All By Myself" beginning book. It stars plenty of ADORABLE, SWEET, LOVABLE kitties. This would be a good fit for anyone who enjoys cat or kitten stories. 


84. Dalmartian: A Mars Rover's Story by Lucy Ruth Cummins. 2024. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The visitor's came to Stephen's yard one otherwise ordinary summer night. Quietly and carefully, they went about their work, collecting, bagging, and tagging specimens. Then very suddenly, they had company. The visitors raced to reboard their ship. One of the visitors wasn't quite quick enough. So one was left behind.

Premise/plot: What happens when an alien dog--a Dalmartian--is left behind on earth? Dalmartian chronicles his adventures as he adapts to life on a strange planet and becomes bonded with a human boy. 

My thoughts: I never thought this was a story I "needed," however I thoroughly enjoyed it! I enjoyed the narration. I really loved the illustrations. It is an unusual, strange but lovely twist on the familiar boy gets a dog story. I absolutely loved some of the spreads such as when the Dalmartian discovers bacon for the first time!!! 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: