Tuesday, June 18, 2024

77. They Call Me No Sam!


They Call Me No Sam! Drew Daywalt. Illustrated by Mike Lowery. 2024. 224 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Deary Diary,
I feel like I should introduce myself, since this is my first diary entry ever. My name is No Sam! And I am a human being. Here's me. That's not the name I was born with, though. My real name is Grrowlo-Ruff-Ruff. But since that name was apparently unpronounceable to Mike, the naked-monkey-thing I used to live with, I've had to settle for the name he gave me: No Sam!

Premise/plot: They Call Me No Sam is an animal fantasy for young readers--mid elementary school on up. No Sam!, the narrator, is a dog (excuse me, human being) narrating his adventures. His life hasn't been the easiest. In fact, there are some hard times he's had to endure. But he faces life with a positive attitude perhaps in part because of his dimness. He may not be the absolute brightest, smartest dog on the block. And this makes for plenty of giggles along the way. No Sam's point of view is humorous and amusing. Yet it isn't just one laugh after another. There is heart to this one as well. No Sam is looking for a place to BELONG. Has he found his home?

My thoughts: This one is longer than the average early chapter book. It features a LOT of illustrations. It is the perfect in-between for early chapter book and middle grade. I think readers of all ages can enjoy the subject--a dog being a dog. It is also a humorous read for the most part. It takes reading between the lines, in a way, to really reflect on the darker themes. It also includes a few twists and turns. This one could also be used to talk about unreliable narrators, reading between the lines, etc. I think it could be enjoyed by a wide audience making it perfect for reading aloud--either in a family setting or classroom. I would definitely recommend this one!!!

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: