Monday, March 4, 2024

26. My Thoughts Have Wings


My Thoughts Have Wings. Maggie Smith. Illustrated by Leanne Hatch. 2024. 32 pages. [Source: Library]
 

First sentence: Sometimes when I go to bed, my body is calm and still, but my mind feels busy and loud! When my mom turns off the lights, my thoughts stay on...especially the not-so-good ones. Those thoughts flutter and flap in my head.

Premise/plot: The little girl in this picture book struggles with anxiety. Her mom teaches her how to allow happy thoughts to build a nest in her mind. 

My thoughts: This one deals specifically with anxiety when it comes to falling asleep and staying asleep. The book shows her worrisome thoughts and her happy thoughts. The book is sweet and gentle. The imagery is lovely.

There's more than one way to approach this topic/theme. I do not expect secular picture books to approach it the same way a Christian book published by a Christian publisher would. 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: