Tuesday, June 2, 2020

66. Write to Me

Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian Left Behind. Cynthia Grady. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Katherine Tasaki returned a stack of books and turned in her library card. "We've got to move soon," she said, "All Japanese, you know."

Premise/plot: Write to Me is a historical picture book highlighting a fantastic librarian, Clara Breed, and her ongoing relationship and service to Japanese children in internment camps during the second world war. It is told from the perspective of children whose lives she touched.

My thoughts: Years ago I read a LOVELY, LOVELY nonfiction book for middle grade and young adults called Dear Miss Breed. It was a magical, magical read that I just loved. I didn't own it and I read it as part of Texas Woman's University's Librarians' Choices book list. I participated in choosing those 100 books for seven years. I doubt I'd be a blogger if it wasn't for that experience and fellowship. But I am making this WAY more complicated then it needs to be.

Long story short, this is a LOVELY picture book. I would definitely recommend it to readers of all ages.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: