Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Ye Olde Cat Memes

Ye Olde Cat Memes. Eulalie Osgood Grover. 1911/2019. 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I am the Queen of all the Kittens.

Premise/plot: Love kittens? Love cats? Enjoy vintage books? This one was originally published in 1911 as Kittens and Cats: a First Reader. It is a themed collection of poetry. Each poem is presented alongside a black and white photograph of, you guessed it, a cat or kitten dressed up and posed. The overall story is that the Queen is having a great party and all the cats and kittens are invited. Half the book is focused on getting there, the other half on the night’s entertainment. The Queen must be amused after all.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one.

A Stranger
I’ve met the cat that lives behind
The looking glass, you see.
He’s very handsome, and he looks
For all the world like me. (53)


I liked the poems. Some were great fun, others not quite so much. But all the photographs were marvelous. I don’t know how they got the cats to pose. It’s a quirky book. 


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: