Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Santa and the Goodnight Train

Santa and the Goodnight Train. June Sobel. Illustrated by Laura Hiliska-Beith. 2019. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Santa’s coming! Ho! Ho! Ho! The Goodnight Train is all aglow!

Premise/plot: I believe this is the third book starring the Goodnight Train and its crew. Earlier books in the series include The Goodnight Train and the Goodnight Train Rolls On. In each book, characters travel to Dreamland. This one is set on Christmas Eve.

My thoughts: For little ones that love, love, love the previous books in the series, this one might prove quite the treat. I know that trains can be fascinating for young ones and that some never really outgrow their love of trains. (Others do.) This one is written in rhyme. The illustrations are very Christmasy. Santa does make an appearance.

I can at times overthink picture books, can expect sense when it is clearly nonsense being served. I don’t know why I am having trouble with the nonsense of this fantasy when I have welcomed wholeheartedly the nonsense of In The Night Garden. But my hesitation should not stop enthusiasts from picking this one up to share with their families.

Text: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Total: 6/10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: