Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Board book: That's Me Loving You

That's Me Loving You. Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Illustrated by Teagan White. 2018. [December] Random House. 28 pages. [Source: Review Copy]

First Sentence:
Wherever you are,
Wherever you go,
Always remember
And always know...
That shimmering star?
That's me winking at you.

Premise/plot: This book is openly and unashamedly sentimental. But don't discount it because it's about LOVE. A parent loving their child fiercely. Picture books about love are everywhere. That's true enough. But this one has its quirky humor too: "That persistent mosquito? That's me bugging you."

My thoughts: I really love this one. It was first published as a picture book in 2016. I had long been a fan of her books. This was her last, I believe. It was written after her diagnosis of cancer--ovarian cancer. It was published three months before her death. It is dedicated to her three children. It's a lovely, lovely--poetic message worth treasuring.  Children don't have to know the back story for this one. It is a joyful, reassuring book about the endurance of love.

NY Times article, "You May Want To Marry My Husband..." by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: