Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm Not

I'm Not. Pam Smallcomb. Illustrated by Robert Weinstock. 2011. Random House. 32 pages.

Sometimes I wonder if my friend Evelyn is from Mars. She's not one single bit ordinary. And she's a little mysterious. I'm not.

I really enjoyed this picture book about friendship. Our shy narrator feels less than--in many ways. Her friend Evelyn has personality, has style; there's just something about her that demands notice and attention. Smallcomb illustrates this well in her text, "If Evelyn was a car, she would get a speeding ticket" and "If Evelyn was a book, you'd read her all night under the covers to see what happened next." But just because our narrator is different from her very best friend, doesn't mean she's not special. For our narrator--as Evelyn points out--is very, very good at being just what Evelyn needs, a really good best friend.

It's a good story, a sweet story, a playful, spirited story. 

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 2 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: