Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Don't Want To Go

Sanders, Addie Meyer. 2008. I Don't Want To Go. Illustrated by Andrew Rowland. Lobster Press.

I liked this one. I did. Part of me wishes that I'd had books like this growing up. I don't want to confuse you, so I'll start over. I Don't Want to Go is the story of a little boy who's just a tad on the anxious side. (I'm not sure if his anxiety is just because he's visiting his grandparents and is away from home for the first time or if it's just part of who Joey is.) His thought bubbles reveal his fears to the readers. Some fears may seem exaggerated, but they're not. I promise. The pattern is familiar. An adult (parent, grandparent) wants him to go someplace--on a train, to the supermarket, a birthday party, to the museum, going fishing, etc--or to try something new. He says he doesn't want to go. The thought bubbles show the reasons why he's hesitant. And then the book shows him navigating through that situation just fine. Most of the time he ends up loving and/or enjoying whatever it was he was afraid of.

For kids with anxious-worrisome moments, I Don't Want to Go is a treat. At the very least, it will help them see that they are not alone. It could also provide a platform for sharing. It's hard to be worried--or as worried--once you've brought something up, once you've shared it; talking about it can make it go away or can lessen it.

No comments: