Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Ball for Daisy

A Ball for Daisy. Chris Raschka. 2011. Random House. 32 pages.

What do you need to know about A Ball for Daisy? Well, it's a wordless picture book. I'll be honest, I find wordless picture books difficult--at best--to review. It's not that I dislike them all. There are good wordless picture books--and I feel A Ball for Daisy is a good wordless picture book--but still I'm at a loss for words. What is this wordless picture book about? It's about a dog, of course. A dog that LOVES her red ball. Readers see in frame after frame, page after page, all the ways this dog LOVES her ball. But. One day something HORRIBLE happens. The dog--presumably named Daisy--loses her ball when another dog--a brown dog--plays too rough with it. We see Daisy go from exuberant to sad because of this loss. But there is hope--for Daisy finds a couple of friends and gets a new ball--a blue ball. That being said, I'm not sure I can make a story for every illustration, that I can trace the story through every single picture. I feel I got the basics, but I'm not sure I got everything that there was.

I liked this one. I didn't quite love it. But it was good.

Illustrations: 3 out of 5


© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: