Friday, May 6, 2011

The Boss Baby

The Boss Baby. Marla Frazee. 2010. Simon & Schuster.  40 pages.

From the moment the baby arrived, it was obvious that he was the boss. He put Mom and Dad on a round-the-clock schedule, with no time off. And then he set up his office right smack-dab in the middle of the house. He made demands. Many, many demands. And he was quite particular. If things weren't done to his immediate satisfaction, he had a fit.


Thus begins The Boss Baby a charming, oh-so-delightful look back at the early days of parenthood written by Marla Frazee. I loved this one from the first spread. The art had me at hello. (It was very retro.) And the text, well, the text was clever and fun. The joke--the 'office' humor--could have gotten old perhaps in the hands of another author. But. I found this one to be so true-to-life, so charming, so funny--in a clever, grown-up way--that it worked from cover to cover.

This is a picture book that I found myself reading and rereading just so I could take in every detail.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

1 comment:

Melissa Taylor said...

I found this book hilarious and so did my six year old - but she didn't really understand the larger metaphor. She thought that he was really "a boss". Oh, well. One day.