Tuesday, August 18, 2026

63. Orris and Timble Star Stories



63. Orris and Timble Star Stories. Kate DiCamillo. Illustrated by Carmen Mok. 2026. 80 pages. [Source: Library] [3 stars, early chapter book, animal fantasy]

First sentence: The rat had made himself a nest from the pages of discarded books. Arranged around the nest were his treasures: a foil-wrapped Top-Notch Butterscotch candy, a velvet slipper, a yellow marble, and an Imperial sardine can with a picture of a fish king on its label.

Premise/plot: This is the third book in the Orris and Timble series. In this one the owl (Timble) tries to convince his friend the rat (Orris) to ride on his back and fly with him. Orris is RIGHTFULLY hesitant. But Timble is persistent (dare I say manipulative). Will Orris be persuaded to try something new because his friend pressures him????

My thoughts: I'm an overthinker. I had issues with this one. I am going to guess that most readers won't. I do like the other books in the series well enough. I just think that Orris has all the reasons in the world to want to stay on the ground. It isn't a matter of trusting his one specific friend. It's a matter of ANYTHING could happen and gravity exists. Also it isn't as if Timble can guarantee his safety. I find it problematic that Timble acts in such a way that it is a MORAL failing if Orris doesn't do what he wants. That if you don't do this it means you don't trust me. That if you REALLY were my friend you'd do this risky dangerous thing. I suppose the message of the book is supposed to be: it's awesome to do new things. But I still don't like how it's done.

© 2026 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: