Tuesday, October 10, 2023

271. Horace and Bunwinkle


Horace and Bunwinkle. PJ Gardner. 2020. 224 pages. [Source: Library] [Animal fantasy; early chapter book mystery series]

First sentence: Horace Homer Higgins III was gravely ill. His head throbbed. His stomach ached. And his sniffer was clogged. This happened every time he rode in the car.

Premise/plot: Sometimes a cover can 'sell' a book. This cover just screams out read me, read me. The premise is simple: Horace, a Boston Terrier, teams up with a potbellied pig, Bunwinkle, to solve mysteries on the farm and surrounding neighborhood. Animals are going missing. Horace is new to the country and farm life. Bunwinkle is new to the family and the farm--having just been separated from her mother and siblings. 

My thoughts: I liked it. I really found the cover appealing. I was excited to check this one out from the library. I was so convinced that I was going to love this series that I checked out all the books at once. I'm not sure I have any interest in reading more. It was entertaining enough, cute enough. But there wasn't much plot--at least in my opinion. Maybe others in the series would have more plot since the characters won't be new and needing to be established.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: