Monday, October 2, 2023

267-270. Picture Book Parade


267. Hopefully the Scarecrow. Michelle Houts. Illustrated by Sara Palacios. 2023. [August] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence:  A scarecrow stood in the garden. Tall, proud, smiling. Like most of us, he didn't remember the very beginning of his days. He only knew he was created with loving hands. Carefully crafted. Wonderfully made. He did remember the first time she placed him on his perch. She set him up straight, stood back, and smiled. Hopefully, the scarecrow will keep the birds away," she'd said. He hadn't known his name was Hopefully. But he liked it.

Premise/plot: Hopefully (the scarecrow) has a great life--for the most part. It is made better by the stories he hears every day. But the 'little' girl who is his faithful friend and companion doesn't stay 'little' forever. She grows up...and life changes....but can Hopefully still find his place in the world?

My thoughts: This one is lovely, sweet, and enjoyable. I love a good fall-themed story, especially if it is NOT Halloween themed. This one celebrates STORIES and friendship as well. I absolutely love the ending of this one. Definitely recommended.


268. A Walk in the Woods. Nikki Grimes. Illustrated by Jerry Pinkney and Brian Pinkney. 2023. [September] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: A week after the funeral,
I stare in the morning mirror,
angry that my father's eyes
stare back at me.
Why, Dad?
Why did you have to leave?

Premise/plot: A Walk in the Woods is, in my personal opinion, a picture book for older readers. The protagonist is a boy grieving the loss of his father. It occurs soon after his father's death. He goes on a walk in the woods. He's following the clues his father left behind to find 'treasure.' This is a nature-centric picture book celebrating life, love, and loss. 

My thoughts: Nikki Grimes and Jerry Pinkney are two BIG names, both beloved. They started this project--a nature-themed picture book--together. He was able to complete a rough draft of illustrations before his death. His son--also an illustrator, also a big name--finished the illustrations. The picture book means so much to all involved. Yes, that's the case with all books, I imagine, but especially so in this case.
It is written in prose AND verse. The themes are, in my personal opinion, complex and weighty. Everyone--no matter their age--can appreciate nature. But this one has a weightiness to it that adults may appreciate more. 


269. I Love You, Daddy. [Board book] Stephanie Moss. Illustrated by Kathryn Inkson. 2023 (2021). 24 pages. [Source: Library] 

First sentence: The morning birds wake us together at dawn. "Daddy, I love you," I sleepily yawn. 

Premise/plot: A lion and his cub spend the day together. This board book is written in rhyming verse.

My thoughts: This one was originally published in the UK. I couldn't figure out if it was also published in the U.S. or if the library just ordered it from the UK. It is cutesy and adorable. If that's your favorite kind of board book, then this one should appeal. If you are drawn to the cover, then you'll appreciate the interior illustrations as well.


270. The Baddies. Julia Donaldson. Illustrated by Axel Scheffler. 2022/2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: There once lived a troll and a ghost and a witch. They were horrible baddies all three. They never said sorry or thank you or please, and their hearts were as hard as could be. 

Premise/plot: Three villains or "baddies" scheme to steal a little girl's handkerchief. Will any of them succeed?

My thoughts: I did not care for this one. You might. I do think humor might be different in the US versus the UK. But I'm not sure that's the reason I didn't like it. I just didn't care about the story or the characters. The 'so what' was missing for me.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: