Thursday, May 12, 2022

53. Fenway and the Bone Thieves


Fenway and the Bone Thieves (Make Way for Fenway #1) Victoria J. Coe. Illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff. 2022. 85 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Everyone knows that dogs are better than squirrels. Dogs make humans happy. Dogs live in houses. Dogs ride in cars. Squirrels do none of these things.

Premise/plot: Fenway and his humans are starring in a new chapter book series. In this first adventure, Fenway is thrilled to get a bone, but, unsure exactly HOW to keep that bone safe. If he buries it, well, it will be safe. But he won't exactly get to enjoy it in the here and now. And is it really that safe? What if someone else finds HIS bone and steals it??? What's a dog to do?

My thoughts: I enjoyed meeting Fenway, Hattie, Food Lady, and Fetch Man. This was my first introduction to Fenway. However, I think it is important to point out that there a handful of books (for older readers) starring Fenway and Hattie.

  • Fenway and Hattie
  • Fenway and Hattie and the Evil Bunny Gang
  • Fenway and Hattie Up to New Tricks
  • Fenway and Hattie in the Wild

Presumably, readers will in the future most likely meet Fenway and Hattie in these new early readers (early chapter books), and grow into the original series. 

I liked the book well enough to be curious about both series. I can't say that I am in love with these characters just yet. I found the book charming, but, not necessarily deep. (Then again how many early readers have enough depth and substance to be called "deep"?) 

I will definitely look and see if my local library has the original series.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: