Thursday, April 7, 2022

47. Wondrous Rex


Wondrous Rex. Patricia MacLachlan. Illustrated by Emilia Dziubak. 2020. 88 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I am seven years old, and my life is soon to be full of "wondrous" happenings. "Wondrous" is a word I learned from my aunt Lily, a writer of books. Lily lives next door to me, and I go there after school while my mother and father are at work. 

Premise/plot: Grace, our young heroine, is encouraged to write her own stories--as is Lily--when Rex, a Labrador retriever, comes into their lives. A magical dog changes everything--for they can hear him talk and he always knows the exact right thing to say.

My thoughts: I liked this one okay. Rex is never once in danger, which is a good thing for a book with a dog on the cover. The story was pleasant enough throughout. There wasn't any conflict. Which I don't mind horribly. Sometimes you just want a nice, safe, cozy book starring a lovable dog. But the tension remained low--will Grace, our seven year old heroine--start writing stories? The answer is predictable--yes, of course. But in reality there isn't really a wrong answer. Lily can do what Lily wants and seven is a little young to make that decision truly a life-altering one. 

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: