Thursday, October 1, 2020

101. The Tattle-Tail (The Fabled Stables #2)


The Tattle-Tail (The Fabled Stables #2) Jonathan Auxier. 2021. [May] 96 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: At the top of the world sat an island. At the heart of that island lived a boy named Auggie. Auggie was just like most other boys, except in one way. He had a job. Auggie worked in the Fabled Stables--a magical place full of one-of-a-kind creatures.

Premise/plot: Auggie--joined by an eager Willa (whom we met in book 1) and a reluctant Fen (whom we also met in book 1)--work together to save a town from an invasive and replicating menace: tattle tails. These talking tails literally drive people crazy by their incessant talking or tattling as the case may be! It all started with one person's curiosity...

My thoughts: I really loved the first book in the series. I enjoyed this one too. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that I loved it absolutely. I love the idea of the series. I love the creativity and humor. And Jonathan Auxier is a great writer. (I definitely have a bias since he's written some of my favorite, favorite, favorite books.) This is his series for young readers. It's an early chapter book with a lot of illustrations. They are ever-so-loosely connected to some of his other books in that they both mention a Professor Cake.

 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: