Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Sam the Minuteman

Sam the Minuteman. Nathaniel Benchley. Illustrated by Arthur Lobel. 1969. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: About two hundred years ago a boy named Sam Brown lived with his parents on a farm in Lexington, Massachusetts, near Boston.

Premise/plot: This one is about the start of the American Revolution; it depicts the conflict between the British soldiers stationed in Boston and the American minutemen. Sam Brown is a boy who follows in his father’s footsteps fighting side by side with his dad. It is told from the perspective of youth and innocence.

My thoughts: This I Can Read book is illustrated by Arnold Lobel. That is initially what drew me to choosing this one from the library shelf. I enjoy history. Almost always have. The narrative is not super engaging from a modern perspective. It is a little dry. But the illustrations are classic Lobel. I am glad I read this one.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: