Monday, August 26, 2019

Skunk in My Bunk

A Skunk in My Bunk. Christopher Cerf. Illustrated by Nicola Slater. 2019. Random House. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

 First sentence: GOAT. GOAT COAT. A goat in a coat.

Premise/plot: Can a Beginner Reader be entertaining and instructional?! Yes! This one features a series of stories all told in rhyme. The stories have a classic, almost vintage feel to them. Perhaps because of the illustration style. Perhaps because these are the same old rhymes that have been used to teach reading forever. (For example, pigs wearing wigs.)

My thoughts: I loved this one. Most of the stories were enjoyable. A few made me giggle. I loved, loved, loved the one starring a skunk! This is how it begins:
SMELL YELL/ “My bunk has a smell that’s so bad I could yell!”/ SMELL TELL/ “Why does it smell? I don’t know. Can YOU tell?”/ SKUNK BUNK/ “There’s a skunk in my bunk!”/ BUNK STUNK/ “THAT’S why my bunk stunk!”


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: