Monday, May 12, 2008

Knut: The Baby Polar Bear


Honestly, I don't know how much babies and toddlers need to know about Knut the polar bear. Not to be mean at all, but I don't know why they would other than it's just cute and fun to see pictures of baby polar bears at any age. But for those parents that can't get enough about Knut, this newest edition is for the youngest admirers of the bunch.

Simple text, actual photographs. The way it should be. I tend to be the sort that dislikes when nonfiction books about animals feature cartoon illustrations instead of the real thing. I love photographs. There are exceptions to the rules--Steve Jenkin's Dogs and Cats for example.

I don't know if this book is necessary or a "must read" by any means. But it is fun and cute and harmless.

I love polar bears. I do. Klondike and Snow won my heart years ago during their documentary. And I haven't been able to look at polar bears the same way ever since. My mom insists that I do not need a polar bear for a pet--even if it is a baby polar bear. This is the same mom that never would let me have a dog or a cat and put up some resistance about the two hamsters I did have growing up. So it wasn't a shock that she wouldn't cave for the polar bear or the elephant either.

No comments: