Thursday, June 16, 2011

Should I Share My Ice Cream?

Should I Share My Ice Cream: An Elephant and Piggie Book. Mo Willems. 2011. Hyperion. 64 pages.

Ice cream!
Get your cold ice cream for a hot day!
Oh, boy! Ice cream!
One ice cream, please.
Here you go!
Oh, boy! Oh, boy!
I love ice cream!

Should I Share My Ice Cream? is the newest book in the Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems. Did I love it? Three guesses, first two don't count! Of course, I loved it. I just LOVE AND ADORE Gerald, the elephant, and Piggie, the pig. And I love Mo Willems, their creator. (Has he ever written a bad book?!)

In this adventure, Gerald buys an ice cream cone. He loves, loves, loves ice cream. But just as he's about to take his first lick--or his first bite--he stops for a moment. Should he share his ice cream with Piggie? Of course, he doesn't know if Piggie even likes that flavor of ice cream. And she's not even around to share it with him. He could eat it without her even knowing. But just because he could get away with it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. He imagines a sad, sad Piggie who could only be cheered up by an ice cream cone.

Gerald's dilemma could have gone on much longer. But. He looks down and notices that his ice cream cone has melted. Now Gerald is sad, sad, sad.
If only there was a way Piggie could cheer him up...

The book is cute and fun and playful. I loved everything about it. Especially how expressive it is. My favorite, favorite illustration would have to be on page 26 when Gerald decides emphatically that he will eat the ice cream. Have you read it? Do you have a favorite Gerald expression?

Other books in the series include:

I Will Surprise My Friend
Can I Play Too?
Elephants Cannot Dance
I Am Going
Pigs Make Me Sneeze
Watch Me Throw The Ball
Are You Ready to Play Outside
I Love My New Toy
I Am Invited to A Party
My Friend is Sad
Today I Will Fly
There Is A Bird On Your Head
We Are In A Book
I Broke My Trunk!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

3 comments:

ninalazina said...

Following your from 'I Can Read'. Joined your Google Connect.
Have a lovely day.
Nina
www.ninalazina.info

ninalazina said...

What age is this book for - around?

Sally Bender said...

I LOVE everything about the Elephant and Piggie books! Mo Willems keeps their characters strong and expressive. Each one has me laughing out loud, and kids who know them want more, more, more. They are perfect early readers!