Saturday, February 26, 2011

Without You





Without You. Genevieve Cote. 2011. Kids Can Press. 32 pages.


Stop! You're going to fast!
Step back! This is a racing track!
You're so careless!
You fuss over any little mess!
I don't want to play with you anymore.
Fine! I won't miss you at all.

The super-adorable stars of Me and You are back again in Genevieve Cote's Without You. The book features a white bunny and pink pig that are best friends. Well, best friends most days of the week. But after an "accident" with a wagon full of toys, their friendship is put to the test as each accuses the other. Soon these two are naming all the things they can do without the other. Proving that they don't need each other to have fun. Showing that they're just fine on their own.

Well, I can read a book without you.
And I can cook without you.
I can play dress-up without you.
I can go to the park without you.

But after awhile, both realize something: they miss each other; they need each other. I enjoyed this one very much. I just loved and adored the first book. And I found this second book just as charming. It's got a good message about friendship, about getting along with others, but it isn't preachy. It just felt right.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: