Friday, September 4, 2026

69. The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear


69. The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the BIG Hungry Bear. Don and Audrey Wood. 1984. 32 pages. [Source: Bought] [5 stars, picture books, animal fantasy]

First sentence: Hello, little Mouse. What are you doing? Oh, I see. Are you going to pick that red, ripe strawberry? But, little Mouse, haven't you heard about the big, hungry bear? Ohhh, how that Bear loves red, ripe strawberries!

Premise/plot: Little Mouse has JUST picked a red, ripe strawberry. Now Mouse is worried--and rightfully so perhaps--that a BIG HUNGRY bear might just come along and take it from her. Is there a way Mouse can make sure NO hungry bear eats her strawberry?

My thoughts: I'm honestly not sure if it's the narrator who "helps" Little Mouse solve the problem, or if it's meant to be you, the reader, who "helps" save the day. I'm guessing probably the narrator--but I could see it going either way. That's how it goes with books written in the second person.

This one is SUPER fun. I love, love, love, love the illustrations. I love how gigantic the strawberry looks because everything is through the perspective of Little Mouse. And I love the story. Who could resist cheering for Little Mouse????

Definitely one I love to read again and again and again.


© 2026 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: