Monday, May 20, 2024

73-74. A biography and "biography"


73. The Story of Jim Henson. Stacia Deutsch. 2021. 70 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Jim Henson was 13 years old when he saw his first television show.

A early chapter book biography of the legendary Jim Henson. It is a biography that covers his whole life focusing mostly on his career and legacy. It isn't just the story of Sesame Street or the Muppet Show. 

My thoughts: I really enjoyed the illustrations. It was great for nostalgia. I don't know that I learned anything as an adult reader. (I grew up watching many though not all of Henson's works). I think for the target audience it would be a good--though basic--introduction. I do love the inclusion of Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. Though it would have been awesome to see the inclusion of the BEST Christmas production that he did--The Muppet Family Christmas (1987). 


74. What is the Story of Captain Picard? David Stabler. 2023. 112 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: On the evening of September 28, 1987, Star Trek fans all over the world turned on their TV sets with great anticipation.

Is it a biography? Not really. Only a little. It is the story of Star Trek's Captain Picard. It explains a little bit about Star Trek and the fandom, the restart of the series in the "next generation," and provides a fictional biography of Captain Picard. But it also does give a tiny biography of the actor who played Picard, Patrick Stewart, as well as the tiniest biography of Star Trek's creator, Gene Roddenberry. 

My thoughts: Is this one necessary? Probably not. Is it fun? A little. I do remember watching Star Trek the Next Generation as it aired [for the first time.] I have very fond memories of watching the show. I did read Patrick Stewart's memoir earlier this year.


© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: