Thursday, November 11, 2010

And I Love You

And I Love You. Ruth Krauss. Illustrated by Steven Kellogg. 2010. October 2010. Scholastic. 40 pages.

Big forests
love
little trees.
Big fields
love 
little flowers.
Big monkeys
love
little monkeyshines
And
I love
you.

I liked And I Love You. Yes, it's simple. Yes, it's sweet. Yes, it's cute. But. I like simple. Simple can be a great thing for a book. And cute--if not overdone--can be good too!

I found the illustrations wonderful. I love the colors. So bright, so expressive. There were a few spreads that reminded me of Reading Rainbow. Which definitely worked in its favor! (Big words love little words to fly around in...) And the fact that the stars of this one were cats, probably helped a bit too!

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: