Friday, September 22, 2017

I Want My Hat Back

I Want My Hat Back. Jon Klassen. 2011. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: My hat is gone. I want it back. Have you seen my hat? No. I haven't seen your hat. OK. Thank you anyway. Have you seen my hat? No. I have not seen any hats around here. OK. Thank you anyway.

Premise/plot: Bear has lost his hat. Did he lose it? Was it stolen? Will he get it back? Will there be a happy hat reunion?

My thoughts: In this quirky but delightful picture book, children are introduced to a bear who has lost his red, pointy hat. The bear is going from animal to animal asking everyone if they've seen his hat. It takes him a little while to find the culprit--perhaps readers will spot the culprit first!!!--but his hat will be found. Was justice served?! You be the judge.

Probably my favorite scene in this one is when Bear 'interrogates' the rabbit...and walks away. The text and illustrations show that the rabbit is obviously lying. But Bear isn't exactly observant.

Bear: Have you seen my hat?
Rabbit: No. Why are you asking me.
I haven't seen it.
I haven't seen any hats anywhere.
I would not steal a hat.
Don't ask me any more questions.
Bear: OK. Thank you anyway.

I love, love, love the ending.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: