Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I Lost My Sock

I Lost My Sock. P.J. Roberts. Illustrated by Chris Eliopolous. 2017. Abrams. 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "I lost my sock!" said Fox. "What does it look like?" asked Ox. "It looks just like this," said Fox. "Is this your sock?" asked Ox.

Premise/plot: Fox and Ox are friends. Fox has lost one of his socks. Ox wants to be a helpful friend, but, he's going to need some guidance from Fox as to what the sock looks like--color, size, shape, etc. Will Ox find Fox's sock?

My thoughts: This is a very odd book. That's not to say it's odd in a bad way. The illustrations are distinctive and not exactly traditional. The story has a lot of dialogue in it--a lot of questions. We end up finding out more about Ox than Fox--in terms of characterization. And Ox, well, he's eccentric, for sure. (Who keeps oranges in their hats?!)

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 2 out of 5
Total: 5 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: