Saturday, September 27, 2008

Baby Elf's Christmas


Cowen-Fletcher, Jane. 2008. Baby Elf's Christmas.

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. I really liked the rhymes. True they are a bit sing-song-y. But I think that is what makes them so fun. It's a book that has rhythm. That has rhyme. That has this catchy beat and feel to it.

Here's my favorite bit:

He sees the colors
red and green,
up and down and
in between.

He hears the jolly
Christmas songs
and quickly learns
to sing along.

He likes the fairy-lighted tree.

He's not so sure of Santa's knee.

I just thought it was a fun book. I think the rhythm and rhymes will help make this one that young readers will want to read again and again. And may even find them wanting to join in on the text. (I'm not so sure parents will want to read it again and again and again.)

But a board book all about a baby's first Christmas? There's just something cute and right about it all.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...just look at the elf on the cover. I want it! I want it!

The Little Hat Company said...

We've been selling it at our store in South Berwick, Maine and everyone is gushing over it! It's a beautiful book with a beautiful message.