Saturday, October 13, 2007

Roxie and the Hooligans

Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds. 2006. Roxie and the Hooligans.

In all honesty, I don’t read that many early chapter books. For one thing, they are rarely as entertaining as books for older readers. But occasionally one comes along like Clementine or Junie B. Jones that wins my heart. Roxie doesn’t win my heart. But she’s not bad either. Roxie is a young girl with many fears. Many fears and two big ears. Teased relentlessly by her classmates at school, she is determined to withstand the torture and torment calmly and bravely for the most part. But what happens when Roxie and her tormenters “accidentally” get dumped onto a deserted island where two robbers are hiding? Can Roxie’s knowledge of Lord Thistlebottom’s Book of Pitfalls and How To Survive Them get them out of this mess? And can she make friends with her enemies? I really enjoyed Roxie. It was the whole desert island being chased by dumb criminals thing that irritated me. More Roxie and less unrealistic adventures would make a great match. Show me Roxie in the everyday world. Show me Roxie at home with her family. Show me Roxie in school and on the weekends. Show her making friends. Show her having fun. But please no more Roxie eating grubs and leaves.

No comments: